Serves: 4-6 servings
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Homemade Refried Beans - Can Also Be Subbed For Healthier Store-Bought, Canned Refried Beans
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2, 15oz cans pinto beans or 3 cups cooked pinto beans, plus 3/4 cup can liquid or water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1/2 Tsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt Toppings
- 1 cup vegan sour cream, store bought or homemade
- 2-3 avocados, mashed
- 1/2-1 cup mild salsa Jalapeno Lentil Chips, For Serving
For Homemade Refried Beans:
1. Mince the garlic. Drain the beans and reserve the can liquid. (Use water if using cooked beans.)
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Turn the heat to medium low and add the beans, 1/2 cup of the reserved can liquid, cumin, chili powder, and kosher salt. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the remaining 1/4 cup can liquid when it starts to become drier.
5. When the liquid gets thick and the beans become easy to mash, remove from the heat.
6. Mash with a potato masher until the desired texture is reached. If you’d like to loosen up the texture, add more water.
7. Place refried beans in a shallow bowl or on a platter and top with vegan sour cream, mashed avocado and salsa and serve with Simply 7 Jalapeno Lentil Chips.
For store-bought refried beans:
1. Remove refried beans from can and warm them on the stovetop in a saucepan and stir until creamy, adding a little water or broth if they are too thick.
2. Place refried beans in a shallow bowl or on a platter and top with vegan sour cream, mashed avocado and salsa and serve with Simply 7 Jalapeno Lentil Chips.
Try This Recipe With Jalapeno Lentil Chips
Life is Full of Flavor. Share It.
Have a simply delicious recipe that goes perfect with our snacks?
Send us your recipe below for the chance to be featured on this page!